Method for making Red Chile Sauce from Mickey’s Chile Purée
- Make a roux using 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp of brown rice flour and 1/3 cup of butter*
- Lightly cook roux (2 to 3 minutes), stirring all the while
- Add 1 1/2 L of cold water, stirring constantly to blend
- Add 1/2 L thawed Chile Chapter Red Chile Purée and mix
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally
*Rice flour is gluten free and makes a slightly thinner chile sauce. Regular all purpose flour may be used instead and for a vegan recipe, substitute oil for the butter.
If you prefer, a pound of ground pork can be cooked first, the flour added to the pork and the drippings. After a short simmer, the water and chile can be added and all brought to a boil as in the recipe above. This was our original chile sauce served at Roche Lake in the 70’s. We changed the recipe after numerous requests for a vegetarian sauce.
– Makes 2 liters –